Please visit the King John link for exclusive photographs
Groups planning Summer Tours to places of interest and great history are invited to visit
HOLY SEPULCHRE CHURCH 1100AD
for an interesting history /military tour. Whether you are just a small group or a coach party you can be catered for.
BOOKINGS ARE NOW BEING TAKEN FOR 2017
please call John Kightley(tour guide and historian)
on 01604 754 782.
We can arrange teas / refreshments at minimal cost if so desired.
Find us on the
Northampton Town Talk website.
(scroll through and go into Communities).
On Monday 6th October 2014 a new publication (Icons of Northamptonshire ) was launched at Wickstead Pavillion Kettering featuring 70 of the county's favourite and most interesting places. Holy Sepulchre Church has been selected as an icon and information regarding the launch can be found on the County Council and the CPRE websites.
8th June 2014
The sun shone brightly for the congregation present to witness Revd.
Michael Hills dedicate the new chairs and chair plaques in the 'Soldiers'
Chapel'. John Kightley MBE Director/Secretary of the Restoration Trust, presented a short history
of the chapel and recent uplift of the decoration, conservation and restoration
concluding with a presentation of each chair and
plaque showing it's individual inscription.
A second dedication took place after the service, on the South Bank in the
churchyard. As described to the congregation by John Kightley this was a
Portland Stone tablet in memory of Flight Lt. Peter Saxton Newhouse DFC
and his wife Jean. Peter was the first Restoration Trust Officer of the Trust,
who was appointed in 1982 until his sudden death in 1994. Efforts to install a
commemorative plaque in honour of Peter, a Battle of Britain fighter pilot and
the thrust behind the first quarter of a million pounds of Trust income, were
thwarted by regulations initially.
The dedication that took place in the presence of their daughter Hilary
(who travelled from Australia for the occasion) and many relations and friends,
leaves a permanent reminder of both Peter and Jean above the location of their
Dedication of the Chairs
Serving soldiers either side of a former soldier now an amputee - all from the Royal Anglian Regiment standing with the Royal Anglian Regiment sponsored chairs.
The Rev.d Michael Hills dedicates the Newhouse plaque.
Newhouse family and friends
Hilary & Ken with Restoration Trust Directors.
Holy Sepulchre Church and the tablet location.
An article in local newspaper Chronicle & Echo revealed the finding of a plaque high up in the belfry previously unnoticed and not recorded in church history books. Hopeful that it would tell of the true date of the addition of tower and spire, it took a camera and the skill of photographer Stuart Kightley-Jones to identify the plaque as carrying a poem about the bells. Although now found to be published in a 19th century book 'Church Bells of Northamptonshire' by Thomas North FSA 1878
there is no indication of the author or an exact date. However, many of our visitors were intrigued and some have gone away to further their own research.
Latest research reveals that
Archbishop Thomas A-Becket was at St. Seps immediately prior to his escape from the Council of Barons at cock crow on the 14th October 1164.
Learn of the now established wall paintings in the Round from Medieval times and hear more of the Church being an interim Civic Church following the 1675 Great Fire of Northampton.
Conservation of the Victorian Ceiling and Window paintings
Warriors Chapel(Chapel of St George and The Regimental Chapel).
Visitors to Holy Sepulchre Church at this present time will find the
re-named 'Soldiers' Chapel' having undergone extensive cleaning and
expert conservation of the beautiful Victorian ceiling and wall paintings.
The work has been undertaken by a team of conservationists under the direction of internationaly renowned Tobit Curteis, taking around five weeks to complete. State of the art lighting has been designed to enhance the glorious work of the Victorian era.
Before a large congregation on Sunday 29th July 2012(Regimental Sunday) re-dedication was by courtesy of The Rt. Rev'd Bishop John Holbrook, Bishop of
Brixworth with guests including Deputy Lieutenant Col. Ian Skears, The Mayor and Mayoress of Northampton, Col. Peter Worthy
and many other dignitories.
A contract valued at approximately £38000 has ensured that the chapel
can be more extensively placed into use and the paintings admired
for at least another century and beyond.
Information relating to conservation works can be visited
Any enquiries to: John Kightley MBE
Tel: 01604 754 782